Press releases benefit businesses in many ways. They serve as a low-cost marketing strategy, especially for new businesses. They also help companies to improve their brand. They help improve public relations. Essentially, a small business owner should add press releases into their marketing mix.
But before you can write a press release, it is important to know the definition of a press release. Knowing the definition helps you stay on point when writing a press release. It also helps you wrap your mind around the purpose of a press release.
The press release definition:
- A press release, in simple terms, is a written statement issued by an individual or an organization to the media to share information or an announcement about recent activity.
- A press release is written material that is submitted to the media with the aim of news coverage or to become newsworthy.
A press release must contain all the key elements that are needed to make the press release newsworthy:
- Concise headline
- Brief body with detailed information
- Short introduction
- List of contacts or contact details
- Description of the organization or person
- Title or headline.
Press Release Title or Headline
The title or headline is one of the most important things to remember in writing a press release. This is because people who read the news are usually looking for some kind of information that caught their attention.
For this reason, the title or headline must give readers a quick and clear indication of what the press release material is about. If the headline is too long or wordy, the reader may lose interest before even opening the article. Moreover, if the headline is not newsworthy, the reader will more likely skip the rest of the material.
A good way to start developing a good headline for your press release is to think about the news that your organization would like to share.
How to improve a press release:
- Write down any interesting or surprising facts that you would like to include in your release.
- Include quotes from important people within your industry that can add some credibility to your work.
- When you have included all of these, it is time to start structuring your release.
Press Release Introduction
A press release should be concise but effective in conveying the right information about your product or service. This is because people often have short attention spans, and many do not take the time to read articles fully. Primacy (putting most important points first) and scannability (ability to skim the article to get the gist) are key to writing a great press release.
Here’s how you can structure your introduction:
- Begin with an introduction that will give readers a clear idea of the purpose of your press release.
- Next, you can tell them about the main concept of your release, why you want your audience to hear about it, and what your company is offering to do to help them.
- Finally, you can tell them when and where the news will be released.
TIP: Some companies even choose to tell the media outlet how they will be giving out the news, this increases the chance that they will be covered faster by the media.
Press release writing has a lot of different elements that make it an effective way to spread the word about your product or service. When you are ready to start writing, be sure to pay close attention to the definition above. This will help ensure that your release is as effective as possible and gives your press release the best chance at being covered.
Remember, if you can't get your news out on the internet, there is no use in spending the time writing a press release about it.
Press Release FAQs
How do I write a press release?
Press releases are an effective way to generate free media coverage for your business. The best way to write a press release is to have a professional write one for you. However, it’s possible to write your own press release.
Your first step should be deciding what your goals are, your press release objectives, and your metrics.
Follow these basic tips on how to write a press release:
- Get a press release template.
- Brainstorm a powerful, attention-grabbing headline.
- Structure your paragraphs in order of importance, starting with the most important content.
- Add powerful and credible quotes to your press release to make it easy for journalists to use in their reporting.
- Make sure to add your company information.
What is a press release?
A press release, also called a news release, is an officially published statement issued to the media for the express purpose of giving information, an announcement, or even making an admission. In today's society, a lot of people are turning to the internet to get everything they want.
Submitting a press release is the best way to get your marketing message out in front of your publics. This is because the internet is a vast array of information that is constantly updated and so what is said online stays online, so you need to make sure whatever you say on the internet is well-researched and has a sound reason to be there.
How do I send a press release?
If you're just starting out with your new online marketing campaign, you probably have a lot to learn about how to send a press release. This powerful marketing tool enables you to give more information about your product or service in an informative way, often in the form of a news article rather than a sales pitch.
As a result, it can be very time-consuming to learn how to send a press release, but if you follow these key strategies, you'll be well on your way to learning how to write a great press release. Also, you'll learn why it's important to submit original press releases — submitting boring templated articles to traditional media outlets can be a huge mistake. Finally, you'll learn about the specific guidelines that make good press releases stand out from the rest.
Steps to send a press release:
- Partner with a proven and reliable press release service provider (preferably one that offers press release writing services).
- Check the press release before signing off on it.
- Let the press release distribution company send your press release to targeted media and news outlets.
Make sure to submit original press releases as they need to be company-specific and fit your brand and overall marketing strategy. Copying other press releases can detract from the brand, and you run the risk of losing your brand authority.
To stand out from the crowd, write a powerful press release headline that instantly grabs the attention of readers. If readers aren’t interested in the headline, they won’t stick around to read the news.
How do I format a press release?
There are a lot of advantages of knowing how to format a press release. Besides making it look more professional, a well-formatted press release will allow the media to pick up your story faster and give you an opportunity to give details about the new product or service you're offering.
In short, good formatting makes it easier for the press release to be read and lets readers know what you're up to. It can even make the difference between landing on the front page and the next category.
Here are some basic tips on how to format a press release to get you started:
- Use a press release template to write your press release.
- Create a press release headline that draws attention and explains straightaway what your news is about.
- Write the most important aspects of your press release first.
- Use a boilerplate template to list your company information at the bottom of the press release.