Why You Should Use Email Marketing to Grow Your Business
The number of emails sent every day is staggering. According to Statista, there are an estimated 3.7 billion email users worldwide, with 205 billion emails sent per day.
Email marketing takes advantage of this large number of email users and is one of the most cost-effective ways for marketers to reach their target audience and build engagement with their followers.
The benefits of email marketing are endless. Email marketing allows marketers to test different messages and see which ones resonate best with their audience, save time on customer service by allowing customers to self-serve through their inboxes, and create brand awareness by maintaining a consistent tone throughout an entire campaign.
Choosing the Best Email Marketing Service for Your Business
There are many email marketing services available these days but not all are created equal. Choosing the best email marketing service will depend on your budget and business goals.
In order to pick the best email marketing service for your business, start by taking a deep look at your business and your target market. Every market is different, and you will need to ensure your messaging resonates with your target audience to generate engagement. By understanding who you will be targeting, you can better understand which email services will best benefit your marketing strategy.
We have reviewed the best email marketing providers and pinpointed what makes each one unique. Check out our list of the best email marketing service providers, and select the one that works best for your specific needs.
Getting Started With Email Marketing
We’ve broken down down the process for email marketing into 4 simple steps:
- Create a sign-up page for your newsletter or freebie offer (this will be used to entice people to give your their email address)
- Design your emails and choose when they will be sent
- Identify interested parties in your target audience so you can tailor the experience to them
- Drive traffic to your sign-up page using advertising campaigns, social media, and search engine optimization (SEO).
Important Email Marketing Metrics to Monitor
After you set up your email marketing campaigns and begin sending out offers and useful information, it is imperative that you begin testing and measuring the effectiveness of those campaigns. To do this, you need to evaluate email analytics, which are also known as email metrics.
There are a lot of factors that affect the success of an email campaign, and these factors can be segmented into four parts — list size, open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate.
Email marketers use these metrics to determine how successful their campaigns have been and decide if they should continue with their current strategies or make adjustments.
Common Email Marketing Metrics:
- Email click through rate - Email click through rate measures the number of people who clicked on the email ad.
- Email open rate - Email open rate is the number of people who opened a particular email divided by the number of people who received it.
- Email unsubscribe rate - Email unsubscribe rate is the number of people who have unsubscribed from a mailing list divided by the total number of emails sent by that list. This is a measure of the level of interest of the recipients in continuing to receive emails from that mailing list.
- Email bounce rate - Email bounce rate is the percentage of emails that were not delivered successfully to the recipient.
- Email deliverability rate - Email deliverability rate can be defined as the proportion of emails that reach their intended recipient.
- Email engagement rate - Email engagement rate is the percentage of people who opened your email, clicked a link, or took an action in response to your email.
Some people believe that the only metric that matters is open rates, but this is not true. Click-through rates and conversion rates are important for seeing the full picture. They show how engaged the recipients were with the content of the email — and whether or not they took an action after reading it (e.g., bought something).
Email Marketing Key Takeaways
Email marketing describes the process of creating and distributing email messages in order to acquire new customers or increase business from existing customers. To achieve this, certain steps should be taken.
- Purchase an email marketing service
- Send out emails
- Analyze list size, open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate to better understand and optimize your marketing campaigns
- Keep refining your emails to get better results (conversions)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is email marketing?
Email marketing refers to the process of sending email messages, often in bulk, to promote a business or organization.
How can email marketing be used?
Email marketing is a powerful way to promote your business and connect with prospective customers.
The basics of email marketing are as follows:
- Create an email list: This list contains the email addresses of people who have shown interest in your business.
- Use a catchy subject line: The subject line is typically the first thing that people see and needs to catch readers’ attention. It should also be personal and speak directly to the subscriber.
- Send emails: Sending emails should be done on a regular basis so that it doesn't seem like it's a one-time event. Emails should also have CTAs so that they are not simply informational messages or newsletters.
- Monitor metrics: It's important to monitor the metrics of your campaign so you can measure your message’s impact and modify your messaging as needed.
When is the best time to use email marketing?
The best time to send out emails is when your customers are most likely to be home and will have time to read them. So, you will need to track your metrics to determine the ideal time for your industry — depending on your audience, it could be a weekday around noon or a weekend evening.
What are the benefits of email marketing?
Email marketing is a powerful tool for any service-based business. It helps to establish trust with prospective customers, engage with customers on a regular basis, and generate leads.
How can companies send emails to their customers?
Companies use an email marketing service to send emails to their customers. Email marketing services provide powerful email campaign metrics and will automatically send emails to numerous customers at your designated time. This saves a lot of time and effort on the company's side and reduces manual errors.
Although manually sending individualized email campaigns is possible, email marketing services are much more effective and provide businesses with analytics that cannot be obtained when manually sending out email campaigns.
What are the most popular email marketing software tools?
An email marketing service is an essential tool for running email campaigns. You can check out our thorough review of the most popular email marketing service.