WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Analytics Manager Job Description
Below is our analytics manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Analytics Manager Job Description
Our analytics manager is in charge of managing all of our analysts to ensure that the company is getting the most accurate numbers. They’ll need to assign tasks for maximum time efficiency and design objectives for each analyst. We trust them to prioritize the data and interpret it in the most logical way. They’ll have full authority over the department, so the analytics manager needs solid leadership skills to keep their team as functional as possible. From coordinating and tracking the budget to disciplining employees, they’ll need to employ strategic planning and time management principles to keep up with their daily workload.
- Hiring, managing, and disciplining the analyst team
- Assigning projects to team members based on skill sets
- Collecting, analyzing, and interpreting results collected by analysts
- Working with analysts to identify larger company trends
- Using appropriate computer programs and software to filter data
- Presenting findings to senior managers and making formal recommendations
- Compiling data and writing reports in a simple language
- Documenting analyst and management procedures according to protocol
- Sourcing information for analysts and controlling the flow of data
- Tracking KPIs and formal metrics to determine problem areas
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience as a data analyst
- Proficiency in common analytic software
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Ability to prepare and deliver formal presentations to senior management
- Ability to extract relevant trends from company data
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or analytics
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in analytics or computer science
- At least 1 year of experience as an analytics manager
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE