WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Architect Job Description
Below is our architect job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Architect Job Description
Our architects are responsible for designing and planning a variety of structures. They’ll need to understand how each building fits into our larger company mission and how we can best adapt our business to acquire new clients. As codes shift to accommodate sustainable buildings, our architects need to be on the precipice of the change, incorporating practices that will benefit the bottom line as much as they will the larger environment. We also look to our architects to understand the general demand in any given area. So if an area is starting to skew more modern than traditional, the architect can help the company design structures that will help developers and investors maximize their future profits.
- Drafting designs and producing detailed drawings of structures
- Preparing and presenting proposals to clients
- Adjusting plans according to client specifications
- Advising clients of relevant building codes and regulations
- Negotiating prices and terms with third-party vendors
- Handling problems that may arise on a building site
- Attending regular meetings with contractors and other professionals
- Making on-site visits to ensure that plans are being followed
- Completing detailed paperwork and documentation of all plans
- Researching building trends and upcoming changes in building codes
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience as an architect
- Excellent visual and drawing skills
- Experience working with CAD software
- Strong understanding of current regulatory laws
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to explain high-level building concepts to clients
- Comfortable directing and coordinating contractors
- Creative, with the ability to change plans to fit client specifications
- Passionate about protecting the environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Architecture
- Experience working with a variety of building styles
- Formal education in building codes
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE