WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Brewery Representative Job Description
Below is our brewery representative job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Brewery Representative Job Description
Our brewery representative is in charge of taking our beers out into the wider world, finding stores and establishments who will welcome our quality brews. We believe in the flavors and ingredients of our beers, and we count on our representatives to work with decision-makers and determine whether or not their clientele will be interested in our unique beers. Representatives need to be excellent salespeople and willing to think outside the box when it comes to finding our target customers. We expect representatives to develop long-lasting relationships so everyone can share in the profits. They’ll need to gather feedback with our regular clients to ensure that our beverages are still meeting the needs of the consumers.
- Traveling to retail stores, bars, and restaurants
- Meeting decision-makers to determine if our beers would be a good fit
- Selling brews and negotiating prices based on order quantity
- Placing orders according to protocol
- Facilitating orders and deliveries
- Completing paperwork according to company specifications
- Managing customer expectations
- Providing timely updates to clients
- Assisting customers with technical matters (storing directives, order obstacles, etc.)
- Managing accounts and forecasting growth based on current demand
- Working with brewers and sales team regarding any new trends in beer
- Promoting new products
- Building lasting relationships to ensure the longevity of the business
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 2 years of experience in a sales role
- At least 1 year of experience in the beer industry
- Proven background in sales and negotiation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- General understanding of new trends in beers
- Highly organized with an eye for details
- Passion for beer
- Proficient computer skills, ability to learn our order management software
- Valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Formal brewing experience or education
- At least 1 year of experience as a brewery representative
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE