WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Builder Job Description
Below is our builder job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Builder Job Description
Our builders are responsible for erecting safe structures that everyone can enjoy. They’ll be expected to follow blueprints and point out any potential hazards while on the job. Our builders need to be proactive and observant, able to coordinate a number of different tasks throughout the day. They may be asked to construct a roof one day and test the wiring of the structure the next. Time-management skills are a must when constructing or repairing buildings, and Builders may be asked to assist vendors, make last-minute adjustments, or ensure that the work meets the building regulations of the area.
- Preparing materials and tools to be used during the building process
- Communicating last-minute changes immediately to co-workers and superiors
- Submitting building plans to the appropriate authorities for approval
- Consulting blueprints and erecting structures according to plans
- Working with foreman to ensure that all local and federal regulations are met
- Documenting all work, repairs, and adjustments according to protocol
- Fixing or reporting any safety hazards before continuing work
- Providing quotes or invoices to clients
- Working with vendors, such as electricians or plumbers, to ensure that they understand their role
- Keeping track of inventory and financials while building
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 2 years of experience in building construction
- Basic understanding of local building codes
- Comfortable supervising and collaborating with third-party vendors
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to adjust work to meet new client expectations
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Good verbal communication skills, ability to effectively define a problem and suggest a solution
- Flexible attitude, willingness to take on any number of tasks throughout the day
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Trade school experience with building specialty
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering
- Plumbing, electrical, or contracting certification
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE