WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Campaign Manager Job Description
Below is our campaign manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Campaign Manager Job Description
We are currently seeking a highly qualified and experienced campaign manager to take the helm of a candidate’s upcoming campaign. Our ideal choice possesses superior managerial and research abilities. You must also be able to command the respect and attention of a team, driving the campaign process toward a winning goal. Optimism, tenacity, and dogged determination are all desirable traits. You’ll be in the driver’s seat, so you must appreciate that this job begins in earnest on day one.
- Organize, direct, and lead a campaign team to victory
- Communicate campaign goals, culture, policy points, and slogans to both the press and supporters
- Maintain and consistently improve upon the reputation and integrity of the represented candidate through a strategically designed outreach program
- Regularly inform voters where your candidate stands, and clearly articulate what you want the press and supporters to take away from rallies and campaign stops
- Organize and orchestrate a marketing campaign for your candidate
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Communications, Advertising, or related field
- Proven ability to lead teams and present ideas through multiple forms of communication
- Tech-savvy and highly capable with social media
- Significant knowledge of political history, campaign procedures, and the science of polling results
- Ability to manage and maximize campaign finances
- Ability to travel and work long hours
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience successfully running prior political campaigns
- Connections to political figures and organizations
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE