WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Chemist Job Description
Below is our chemist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Chemist Job Description
Our pharmaceutical company’s chemists research new ways to manufacture medications that are used to treat a range of diseases and disorders.They work on teams, conducting laboratory tests and assessing the experimental data gained. Because all data may be used to produce medications, impeccable records must be kept at every stage of research.
- Working with team members to develop hypotheses and experiments
- Conducting laboratory tests to examine the proposed hypotheses
- Interpreting test results to refine current hypotheses and establish new ones as appropriate
- Considering practical implications for test results and hypotheses
- Collaborating with team members and others on projects
- Preparing reports for team leaders, project managers, and upper management
- Properly using and caring for all laboratory equipment
- Documenting all work for future review and use
- Following all applicable legal regulations
- Following all safety protocols
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 1+ years of experience as a research chemist
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good written communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of office and pharmaceutical software
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s or doctoral degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 3+ years of experience as a research chemist
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry or medical field
- Experience in management positions
- Published findings in one or more academic journals
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE