WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Chief Development Officer Job Description
Below is our chief development officer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Chief Development Officer Job Description
Our Chief Development Officer will ensure that our company is operating at its top capacity. We need them to design and shape our general processes to be as efficient as possible. We also need them to encourage a sustainable culture that will help drive our organization into the future. The Chief Development Officer should feel equally comfortable reviewing budgets as they are seeking out new business and funding opportunities. We need them to diversify our resources so we always have the support we need to thrive.
- Working with the executive team to identify key objectives
- Developing strategic plans to help hit different goals
- Reviewing budgets and financial management
- Adjusting processes where needed to ensure efficiency and cost-savings
- Overseeing general staff, evaluating their efforts, and collecting results
- Explaining company goals to the team and conducting training sessions
- Recruiting and coordinating new volunteers
- Seeking out additional resources
- Developing long-standing relationships with potential donors
- Ensuring that all work is in line with the company mission
- Adjusting processes as needed to comply with new or existing regulations
- Continuously evaluating business processes for potential inefficiencies
- Implementing new technology or tools as needed
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience in project management or a development role
- Strong understanding of project management principles
- Experience leading and motivating a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Proven success in fundraising
- Familiarity with common office equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration (or a related field)
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- PMP certification
- Master’s degree in a related field
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE