WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Child Psychologist Job Description
Below is our child psychologist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Child Psychologist Job Description
Our child psychologist will diagnose and treat a variety of mental disorders or behavioral problems in children aged 17 and younger. They should have a broad understanding of common symptoms and how they can be controlled either through talk therapy or prescription medication. We need our child psychologist to be analytical but also compassionate when they’re with patients. Childhood can be a confusing time for many, and our psychologists need to be sensitive to children’s needs as they navigate through different stages into adulthood.
- Meeting with patients
- Assessing behavioral or mental disorders through the available testing methodology
- Developing a customized treatment plan
- Educating family members so they can administer ongoing treatment
- Ensuring both the symptoms and the underlying problems are being addressed
- Complying with all ethical and business standards, regulations, and individual requests
- Practicing sensitivity and compassion for all patients
- Determining if and when additional treatment is necessary (support groups, etc.)
- Working with a psychiatrist or other caregivers if further medication or treatment is necessary
- Completing all necessary paperwork according to the protocol
- Maintaining the privacy of all patients
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Approachable and empathetic personality
- Ability to work with children from all backgrounds and cultures
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Broad understanding of clinical treatment methods
- Thorough understanding of ethical and business practices
- Ph.D. in child or clinical psychology
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Additional post-doc training
- At least 1 year of experience as a practicing child psychologist
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE