WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Clinical Psychologist Job Description
Below is our clinical psychologist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Clinical Psychologist Job Description
Our clinical psychologist will work with individuals who have moderate to severe mental disorders and conditions. They’re expected to gain each client’s trust before developing a customized treatment plan for the individual. Our clinical psychologist is expected to use every potential avenue to help our patients. Whether it’s through therapy, medication, or residential treatment, they may have to try several remedies before finding the one that works best for the patient. They’ll consult with additional healthcare professionals (primary doctors, psychiatrists, etc.) to work out the best course of treatment.
- Meeting clients, completing intake information, and assessing conditions
- Employing additional testing methods to support or confirm diagnoses
- Collaborating with other healthcare providers to ensure patient follow-through
- Designing treatment plans for patients based on symptoms and underlying conditions
- Performing continuous follow-up with patients to assess the efficacy of treatment
- Adjusting treatment plans to better meet patients’ needs
- Explaining diagnoses and treatments to authorized parties
- Ensuring that all patient documents are kept private according to current regulations
- Complying with all valid requests (from authorities, primary physicians, etc.)
- Completing ongoing education and attending all necessary conferences and meetings
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of different therapy methods
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Outstanding intuition, insight, and analytical skills
- Familiarity with risk assessment, common testing methods, and diagnostic criteria
- Ph.D. in clinical psychology
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience as a practicing clinical psychologist
- Published work in accredited journals
- Post-doc research or training
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE