WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Computer Security Specialist Job Description
Below is our computer security specialist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Computer Security Specialist Job Description
Our company is looking for a talented and experienced computer programmer for the position of computer security specialist. Our ideal candidate will be attuned to the newest computer systems and emerging software in order to ensure that our organization’s technology and communications infrastructure remains safe and operating at optimal levels. It is vital that your experience in coding and computer technologies continues to evolve, just as our system’s security measures should. We also look for positive personal interactions, so people skills and communications are critical for success well.
- Managing, planning, and overseeing the implementation of digital security systems
- Analyzing existing systems and probing for weaknesses
- Communicating with the IT department and company managers to discuss protocol and potential breaches or system failures
- Creating multi-tiered safety backups and firewalls
- Regularly updating staff and management about new and emerging viruses, hacks, phishing techniques, and general problems that may affect computer/tech systems
- Overseeing system audits for problem areas
- Conducting safety training for new hires and continued education for established employees
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in the computer security industry
- Adept at managing and securing large-scale information technology networks
- Ability to problem solve, think analytically, and communicate findings to management and IT department
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to delegate job responsibilities and oversee/monitor company system requirements, both remotely and on site
- Experience with computer programming, web design, system coding, or other related information technology services
- High school diploma/GED
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- BS in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field
- Ability to travel and work nights and weekends
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.