WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Coroner Job Description
Below is our coroner job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Coroner Job Description
We are looking to hire an experienced coroner to lead our forensics team. Candidates must possess a keen attention to detail and show adept organizational and leadership skills. You must be well studied and thoroughly trained in the coroner/medical examiner fields, either through schooling, apprenticeship, or both, to receive proper consideration. Communication skills are critical, as you will be describing your evidence and findings, often in written and oral reports, which may also assist in legal proceedings. Professionalism is key, and our ideal candidate should be able to balance the many responsibilities and requirements of such a critical job.
- Examining the deceased to determine the cause, time, and manner of death
- Overseeing and participating in autopsy procedures, deceased intake, preliminary examinations, and other related procedures
- Confirming the identity of the deceased
- Authoring and submitting death certificates and related findings
- Collecting personal belongings to be transferred to family, next of kin
- Cooperating with state and local agencies and authorities for extended field research, detective work, and courtroom proceedings
- Overseeing the disposal or transportation of bodies as necessary
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience as a coroner or coroner’s assistant
- Ability to fulfill certification and/or licensing required for county/province
- Strong examination skills and an attention to detail
- Accurate and organized recordkeeping
- Ability to remain on-call 24/7
- Strong written communication skills
- Computer knowledge and internet savvy
- Working knowledge of state and local laws and regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in law studies, medicine, or a related field
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Prior experience as a lead coroner
- Master’s/doctorate degree in forensics, law, medicine
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE