WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Email Marketing Manager Job Description
Below is our email marketing manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Email Marketing Manager
Our email marketing manager increases the company’s brand visibility and reach by getting our message into customers’ inboxes. The email marketer is responsible for managing all aspects of our email marketing campaigns, from creating newsletters to managing email databases. The email marketing manager is assisted by our skilled copywriters, and they also work closely with other members of the marketing team.
- Growing the company’s database of current and potential customers’ email addresses
- Developing email marketing campaigns based on company goals and needs
- Identifying the target audience for each email marketing campaign
- Writing and sourcing content for newsletters and other emails
- Updating email templates, personalizations, and other features as appropriate
- Ensuring that all email messages are mobile-friendly and accessible on most devices
- Analyzing email campaigns’ performance and recommending improvements
- Providing reports on relevant KPIs, including sales revenue generated and ROI
- Making sure all emails follow applicable laws and industry best practices
- Working with the marketing team to develop broader online marketing campaigns
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 2+ years of experience as an email marketer or online marketing specialist
- Familiarity with content management systems and basic HTML
- Familiarity with common marketing automation methods
- Knowledge of SEM and SEO best practices
- Knowledge of Google Analytics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns and meet deadlines
- High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field
- 4+ years of experience as an email marketer or online marketing specialist
- Experience in the industry
- Experience in project management
- Proven track record of growing email marketing campaigns
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE