WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Finance Controller Job Description
Below is our finance controller job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Finance Controller Job Description
The finance controller will manage the budget, accounting operations, and financial forecasts for our company. The controller must be highly organized, flexible, and able to incorporate new objectives into their daily duties with little to no notice. Our finance controller should be familiar with how to manipulate resources to maximize their value. They also need to be familiar with how the company can use different software to produce more precise results. We count on our finance controller to research new regulatory restrictions to ensure that the company is staying within the letter of the law.
- Managing accounting procedures (e.g. billing, accounts receivable, cash flow, etc.)
- Suggesting investment strategies that will maximize our ROI
- Preparing financial forecasts and projected budgets
- Ensuring that the protocol is under compliance at all times
- Researching upcoming laws and implementing changes prior to new rules taking effect
- Assisting with tax preparations, including month-end and year-end closing
- Publishing monthly financial reports and statements
- Performing quality control of financial transactions and reporting
- Working with external auditors as needed and supplying all necessary documentation and paperwork to fulfill their investigations
- Coordinating with other departments to ensure that leaders understand financial obligations and restrictions
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of finance and accounting experience
- At least 1 year of experience as a financial controller
- Strong math skills and problem-solving abilities
- Understanding of current local, state, and federal financial regulations
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to produce clear reports that tell a story of our company’s financial health
- Bachelor’s degree in an Accounting-related field
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Accounting
- CPA or CMA
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.