WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Finance Manager Job Description
Below is our finance manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Finance Manager Job Description
Our finance managers make it easy for clients to get the information and advice they need to maximize their assets. Finance managers should be fully attuned to the many investment strategies available and be capable of explaining those strategies in such a way that clients can make an informed decision. They need to have experience with scaling their advice based on the number of assets the client has, and they’ll need to work within the given framework to ensure that clients aren’t overextending their capital.
- Preparing financial reports and budgets for clients
- Suggesting appropriate actions to maximize client profits and revenue
- Researching specific investment strategies and explaining the benefits and disadvantages of each path
- Maintaining clients’ complete financial health
- Analyzing relevant numbers and ongoing trends that affect both current and future finances
- Working with auditors to ensure legal compliance
- Organizing documentation to ensure that all paperwork and official approvals are easily found and retrieved
- Overseeing general operations and conducting formal reviews
- Coordinating with affiliated departments and adjusting workflow when necessary
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 2 years of experience in a finance manager role
- Proven understanding of a variety of investment strategies
- Formal experience with financial audits
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to explain complicated financial concepts to clients
- Tech savvy, ability to adapt to new financial software and tools
- Strong knowledge of statutory regulations
- BS in finance, economics, or accounting
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s in accounting
- Certification as a CPA or CFA
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE