WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Financial Manager Job Description
Below is our financial manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Financial Manager Job Description
Our multinational firm is experiencing significant growth and seeks an accomplished financial manager to join our team. In this position, you will play an essential role in securing the firm’s long-term growth and financial security. The ideal candidate possesses at least two years of industry experience and the drive to lead their team toward meeting the organization’s objectives.
- Collect, review, and interpret financial reports (e.g., accounts payable, accounts receivable, expenses, and budgets)
- Share financial information with upper management, and provide strategies for making sound business decisions to minimize financial risks
- Predict financial trends and make projections based on information gathered
- Review, monitor, and manage quarterly and annual budgets to maintain the organization’s financial health and performance
- Evaluate budgets for cost-reduction opportunities
- Manage finance department operations, including defining goals and developing strategies to meet those objectives
- Collaborate with department heads, ensuring transparency
- Analyze competitors’ financial health and market trends
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Two or more years of proven industry experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in finance, economics, or accounting
- Extensive knowledge of current financial trends, statistics, and accounting principles
- Knowledgeable in industry regulations and legislation
- Great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to lead a team of employees
- Proficiency using finance software
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Candidates with a professional qualification, such as CFA/CPA or similar, will be considered first
- Ability to travel for quarterly meetings
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.