WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Fitness Director Job Description
Below is our fitness director job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Fitness Director Job Description
XYZ Fitness seeks an experienced and energetic fitness director to manage our new location. The XYZ Fitness team encourages a well-rounded approach to wellness, creating individualized programs to meet each client’s personal needs. As the fitness director, you will oversee the facility’s programs, manage the sales and personal training staff, and ensure departments meet their goals. The ideal candidate possesses the passion and motivational skills required to push their team and clients to live their very best.
- Review the facility’s current programs, classes, camps, and tournaments, and then plan, develop, and execute necessary changes based on your findings
- Conduct market research and develop targeted programs based on your findings
- Manage schedules (e.g., facility, program, fitness testing, and personal training schedules)
- Offer support to staff
- Interview, hire, train, manage, and evaluate staff
- Maintain organizational transparency
- Maintain all equipment and safety standards
- Coordinate with staff to ensure all licenses/certifications are up-to-date
- Define and manage the facility and departmental budgets
- Define sales goals, develop initiative programs, and then monitor and report on progress
- Develop procedural manuals for all programs/departments
- Use networking skills to create strategic alliances and maximize revenue
- Actively participate during special events
- Maintain facility inventory
- Collaborate with the facilities maintenance team to ensure the facility remains clean, safe, and fully operational
- Negotiate all maintenance contracts
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Three or more years of experience managing health and/or athletic facilities
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to manage conflict when necessary
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to multitask and prioritize
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, fitness-related software programs, and POS systems
- Working knowledge of all fitness-related equipment and evolving industry standards
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be insurable
- Experience in sports medicine and sports science preferred
- Certified personal training experience desired
- Physical requirements: Must be able to work in various weather conditions and stand for long periods of time
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE