WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Fitness Instructor Job Description
Below is our fitness instructor job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Fitness Instructor Job Description
We are looking to fill an immediate position for a fitness instructor at our growing fitness center. The ideal candidate possesses experience leading exercise classes and acting as a personal trainer on a one-on-one basis. Our center’s participants represent every age group, so it is imperative that you possess the knowledge and skills to properly educate and motivate individuals with a range of varying needs. If this sounds like you and you’re ready to take your fitness career to the next level, we would love to speak with you further.
- Demonstrating how to carry out routines and exercises for clients with a variety of skill levels
- Monitoring clients as they perform exercises, offering corrections when necessary
- Educating clients regarding ways to minimize injury; offering nutritional information
- Monitoring client progress, adapting as needed
- Explaining and monitoring safety rules and regulations
- Providing emergency first aid when necessary
- Planning, choreographing, and teaching fitness classes; providing adequate time for warm-up and cool down
- Preparing appropriate music and equipment for scheduled classes
- Ensuring a positive experience for each guest
- Notifying management of facility and client needs
- Providing front desk support; giving tours of the facility; signing up new members
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Certified instructor (ACE, AFAA) or equivalent
- Current Red Cross CPR certification
- Working knowledge of training principles, human anatomy, and kinesiology
- Experience leading groups of people; knowledge of group fitness teaching strategies
- Music and choreography skills; ability to incorporate music, cueing technique, rhythm, and tempo
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Strong motivational and leadership skills
- Self-motivated; strong time management skills; ability to manage own schedule
- Ability to work autonomously and as a team
- Strong communication skills
- At least 18 years of age
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and some holidays
- Customer service experience
- Additional specialty/certifications
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE