WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Freight Broker Job Description
Below is our freight broker job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Freight Broker Job Description
Our organization seeks a service-minded freight broker to serve as a liaison between freight carriers and our customers. In this position, your responsibilities would include securing new accounts, expediting the information-sharing process, and communicating with dispatchers, drivers, and clients. Additionally, we will look to you to negotiate current and future contracts to help maximize organizational profits. Ideal candidates are customer-oriented with the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Perform freight services, adhering to government and company regulations
- Create, coordinate, and manage pick-up and delivery schedules, coordinating with shippers, carriers, dispatchers, and customers
- Track and report shipment status of loads
- Book orders with carriers and assist in preparation for loading
- Provide current and prospective customers with shipping quotes
- Maintain accurate records of all activity, ensuring freight paperwork is complete and approved prior to transportation
- Resolve freight discrepancies and keep relevant parties apprised
- Respond to customer concerns and queries in a timely, professional manner
- Manage multiple deliveries and process spot requests
- Develop new sales strategies to generate leads, improve business, and develop a sales pipeline
- Identify safe carriers for freight services, develop business relationships with carrier contacts, and negotiate pricing agreements and contracts
- Maintain positive, productive relationships with customers, and contact them, as appropriate, for new business opportunities or to offer special promotions and discounts
- Remain abreast of emerging market trends
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Two or more years of work experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with brokerage firm operations, carrier management, and broker regulations
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and industry-specific software
- Strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effortlessly with customers, shippers, carriers, and dispatchers
- Exceptional negotiating skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet sales targets
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or suitable equivalent
- Professional certification as a certified transportation broker preferred
- Established book of business preferred, but not required
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE