WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Genetic Counselor Job Description
Below is our Genetics Counselor job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Genetic Counselor Job Description
A genetic counselor is in charge of giving potential parents information about their DNA and how it may affect their unborn children. As new medical breakthroughs emerge, it’s becoming easier and easier to predict the exact health of infants. It’s a genetic counselors job to calculate the odds, explain the risks, and analyze the genomic sequences that may determine the child’s future. This position requires a balance between people and technical skills. Our ideal counselor will need to be as adept at analyzing patient histories as they are at breaking bad news to hopeful clients.
- Gathering all necessary data (DNA samples, family histories, etc.)
- Complying with all privacy and security regulations
- Analyzing information and running relevant genetic tests
- Monitoring results for potential errors and redoing procedures if necessary
- Documenting all work and compiling reports for clients
- Researching new medical laws related to counseling and adjusting protocols to ensure compliance
- Explaining results to parents in detail and advising them of potential risks
- Helping parents cope with diagnoses and providing advice about alternative options
- Working with upper management to implement new technology or medical procedures
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience in a genetic counselor role
- Detail-oriented with the ability to conduct various tests with precision
- Thorough understanding of genetic sequencing
- Excellent statistical skills with the ability to calculate accurate odds of different genetic conditions
- Passion for emerging technology in genetics counseling
- Comfortable delivering bad news and counseling parents through their next steps
- Master’s degree in Genetic Counseling
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Genetic counseling license
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE