WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Geneticist Job Description
Below is our geneticist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Geneticist Job Description
As the premier hospital of the Southeast, XYZ continuously strives to expand our services, ensuring our patients have the knowledge to make educated decisions regarding their health. We are seeking an experienced Geneticist to fill an immediate position. As the hospital Geneticist, you will serve as a Genetic Counselor, working with a broad range of patients to help understand what their family medical history means to them. Many of these patients are facing difficult decisions and experiencing a broad range of emotions. The ideal candidate possesses not only the knowledge and experience but also a positive bedside manner, sensitive to the patients’ current needs.
- Review patients’ family medical history, coordinate testing, and interpret results
- Prepare and educate patients for potential outcomes and/or diseases; share results from testing
- Discuss treatment options and coordinate referrals to specialized physicians, who implement treatments
- Document your research, recording procedures, methodology, and results
- Conduct studies, developing yourself as an industry leader; present findings at conferences or in scientific journals, ultimately earning accolades for yourself and our organization
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field of study
- Master’s Degree in Genetics
- 2+ years of proven experience, particularly in working with patients
- Strong bedside manner, with the ability to show empathy while delivering difficult news
- A proven track record for managing medical compliance
- Strong interpersonal and communicative skills
- Experience using patient management software
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as an individual or in a team environment
- Ability to work in a lab for extended periods of time
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Candidates who have completed a Doctor of Medicine program, participated in a residency, and earned a qualifying score on the United States Medical Licensing Examination will be considered first
- Ability to travel on occasion
- Portfolio of published works a bonus
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.