A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our ghostwriter job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Ghostwriter Job Description
We are looking for an eloquent and creative ghostwriter to join our political candidate as they head out on the campaign trail. As their ghostwriter, you will play an integral role in ensuring their message is delivered concisely, ultimately gaining the support that brings home a campaign win. Ideal candidates possess the knowledge and real-world experience in politics, history, and business, with a clear understanding of what the public desires and how our candidate will fulfill those needs. Do you possess the necessary skills? Do you believe in the candidate and their ability to change the world for the better? If so, we would love to meet and discuss the duties of this position and how this could propel your career in the future.
- Collaborate with candidate and campaign manager to clearly define current and future goals
- Identify specifics regarding campaign strategy, target audience, and messages the team needs to be delivered
- Craft targeted speeches, carefully considering the needs and desires of the event’s audience, setting, and the interviewer (when applicable)
- Travel with the candidate, coaching daily to ensure speeches deliver the intended message and that they are able to deliver with ease and confidence
- Craft press releases, pamphlets, and website
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or Political Science preferred
- Ability to work long hours and travel for days or weeks at a time
- Ability to meet deadlines, often working on multiple pieces at once
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact and draw out information from a variety of different audiences
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Exceptional research skills and with extensive knowledge of politics, business, and history
- Ability to adapt with ease, depending upon the setting and audience
- Patience and strong listening skills are critical
- Detail-oriented and well-organized
- Firm grasp of the English language; ability to craft quality pieces and edit when necessary
- Awareness of time-sensitive issues and confidentiality
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience working on a campaign trail is preferred
- Portfolio of published works a bonus
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.