WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Healthcare Administrator Job Description
Below is our healthcare administrator job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Healthcare Administrator Job Description
Our organization is looking for a qualified and experienced healthcare administrator to fill an immediate full-time position. Ideally, you will have 3+ years of experience in the healthcare field, with a focus on managerial duties. A degree in Healthcare Management or other managerial positions will propel our best candidates. You should be skilled in organization and communication and must be willing to take charge of our medical team, as the public face of the organization. Scheduling employees, managing hiring and firing procedures, and generally acting as a liaison between various departments, as well as patients, will fill most of your days. Efficiency and productivity will be the focal points of your job duties.
- Track and monitor patient records and recovery stories
- Manage employee work records and files
- Publicly represent the hospital and its staff
- Create communications via e-mail, social media, press releases, and interactions with the public, day to day
- Manage medical compliance and staff certification/training needs
- Oversee work schedule creation and delegation of duties
- Manage supply stocks and communications with medical vendors
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s in Communications, Healthcare Management or Administration, Business Administration, or other related fields
- 3+ years of experience as a Healthcare Administrator
- A proven track record for managing medical compliance and staff needs/training
- Creative problem solver
- Strong interpersonal and communicative skills
- Adept at computer operations and functions and internet/social media platforms
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- MS in Management/Administration, or related medical training
- Able to travel for work training and seminars
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE