WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Help Desk Manager Job Description
Below is our help desk manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Help Desk Manager Job Description
We are looking for a qualified help desk manager to join the XYZ team. As the Help Desk Manager, you will play an integral role in ensuring each client receives excellent customer service and that all technical issues are resolved thoroughly and swiftly. As the team leader, you will provide support to each technical support team member, motivating them to achieve both personal and organizational goals. Success in this position requires a combination of customer service experience, a technical background, and the ability to solve complex problems with ease and confidence.
- Recruit, train, and manage the help desk team and technicians
- Conduct routine performance evaluations; offer support and advice to individuals working to advance in this industry
- Act as a team player by actively responding to queries and handling customer complaints
- Collect customer reviews, identifying strengths and weakness, altering standard procedures as necessary
- Ensure customer requests are handled accurately and timely; follow up with customers
- Set customer service standards and best practices; create a transparent work environment, clearly communicating what is expected of each team member
- Generate daily, weekly, and monthly reports on productivity
- Provide customer feedback to the appropriate internal teams
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or relevant field
- Minimum 1 year of proven work experience as a Help Desk Manager or at least 4 years in a customer service position
- Extensive knowledge and experience with help desk and remote control software
- Technical background with the ability to give instructions to a non-technical audience
- Ability to solve complex issues confidently and timely
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Strong leadership skills; ability to manage conflict when necessary
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Ability to travel on occasion
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE