WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
High School Secondary Language Teacher Job Description
Below is our high school secondary language teacher job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
High School Secondary Language Teacher Job Description
We are currently seeking a secondary language teacher to conduct high school French classes for students at all levels. Beyond effective instruction, we expect our teachers to create a safe learning environment where our students will thrive. The ideal candidate will be comfortable leading a class of up to thirty students while also being available to provide one-on-one help for those who need it. We encourage anyone with the necessary skills and a true passion for teaching to apply.
- Prepare lessons, course materials, homework assignments, and exams related to French language and culture for each class section.
- Evaluate performance based assignments, exams, and class participation, and offer individual guidance to ensure each student stays on track.
- Communicate with students in French whenever possible.
- Establish regular office hours 2-3 days per week to meet with students outside of the classroom when necessary.
- Communicate with parents to update them on their child’s progress in your classroom
- Serve as the moderator of the school’s French club, working directly with students to plan lessons and activities.
- Actively participate in school activities and functions.
- Collaborate with the teaching staff and administration in enforcing and developing school policies to enrich the student experience.
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in French, linguistics, secondary education, or a related field
- Certification to teach in this state
- Passion for sharing your knowledge of French language, history, and culture
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to effectively communicate in large groups and one-on-one
- Strong organizational skills and great attention to detail
- Basic computer skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE