A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our hiring specialist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Hiring Specialist Job Description
Our organization is looking to add a Hiring Specialist to our expanding HR team. As a specialist, we will look to you to recruit and evaluate qualified candidates to fill various positions within the company, from customer service all the way to upper management. You will develop short and long-term hiring plans, advertise open positions, source candidates, and conduct interviews. Your success in this role requires exceptional communication skills and full-cycle recruiting experience. Our hiring specialist plays a critical role in the success of our company, Your role as Hiring Specialist is integral to the success of the company, as our success is defined by the strength of our workforce is critical.
- Serve as a company representative and advocate at job fairs and hiring events.
- Oversee the entire hiring process, from sourcing to onboarding.
- Advertise open positions on our website, jobs boards, and professional social networks.
- Review LinkedIn profiles to identify potential candidates
- Screen applications and resumes based on hiring criteria
- Conduct interviews (in-person, via telephone, and/or video)
- Communicate with candidates regarding job offers and negotiate terms of employment
- Process new hire forms
- Liaise with management teams to forecast future staffing needs
- Maintain accurate employment records related to new hires, terminations, transfers, and promotions
- Ensure transparency by explaining organizational policies, standards, and procedures for new and existing employees
- Address employment relations issues swiftly and thoroughly and maintain records of all incidents
- Track key recruiting metrics like time-to-hire and source of hire
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, business administration, or related field
- Previous experience as a hiring specialist or other human resources professional
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of applicant tracking systems and other human resources management software
- Familiarity using social networks to post job ads and source candidates
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to multitask and make difficult decisions under pressure
- Aptitude for problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision making
- Strong ethics and a commitment to confidentiality
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a hiring specialist
- Willingness to travel
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.