WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Hospice Nurse Job Description
Below is our hospice nurse job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Hospice Nurse Job Description
Our hospice facility is seeking an experienced hospice nurse to join our team. Our hospice nursing team provides support and care to our terminally ill patients. Your service, knowledge, and presence offer comfort to both patients and their families as they face the end of life. For this role, you must be a registered nurse who understands the value hospice care offers in alleviating pain and suffering. Compassion and strong interpersonal skills are highly valued in this position. A background in caring for the terminally ill, knowledge of various illnesses and treatment protocol, and a passion for helping patients living out their final days with comfort and dignity will make you an ideal candidate for this position.
- Work closely with physicians and other medical professionals to ensure patients receive the best possible care
- Visit patients regularly to evaluate their condition and ensure their comfort
- Administer medication as needed
- Keep patients comfortable and pain-free as they enter the final phases of their disease
- Notify physicians when a patient’s condition has changed or new issues arise
- Provide individualized emotional and medical support
- Spend time with families to ensure they understand the patient’s condition and treatment plan
- Assist family and patients with paperwork
- Maintain accurate medical records
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Nursing degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum of two years of experience as a registered nurse
- Certification through the National Board for the Certification of Hospice Nurses
- Current CPR certification
- Extensive knowledge of nursing care procedures and medication side-effects/contraindications
- Ability to work in high-pressure, highly emotional situations
- Ability to show compassion to patients and family while maintaining a professional demeanor
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to pass a background check and drug screening
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of two years of experience in hospice care
- Flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of your patients
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.