WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Hospitalist Job Description
Below is our hospitalist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Hospitalist Job Description
Our hospital is seeking a full-time hospitalist to join our ever-evolving medical team. Your focus will be to ensure our patients receive the best possible medical care while at our facility. While in our care, hospitalized patients will look to you for all their general medical needs. Additionally, this is a teaching hospital and we are committed to consistently introducing medical innovations and educating the future’s top medical professionals. To succeed in this position, you must be willing to work on a team, putting the needs of our patients and the medical community above all else.
- Upon admission, review patients’ medical histories, conduct thorough examinations, order necessary tests, and interview patients to get a feel for their needs
- Diagnose patients, devise treatment plans, coordinate with nursing staff, and check in regularly throughout the day
- Coordinate with primary care physicians as needed
- Tend to patient emergencies
- Serve as a mentor and develop curriculum for residents currently in the Residency Program
- Strive to identify new innovations and continuously improve the quality of care and care delivery processes
- Communicate with patients’ families as needed
- Maintain accurate and confidential records
- Remain abreast of hospital regulations and work with the board to amend outdated or ineffective policies and procedures
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Certification from the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Completion of the Fellowship Training Program in Internal Medicine
- License to practice medicine in this state
- Minimum of two years of proven work experience as a physician
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Compassionate bedside manner
- Ability to work on individual projects and as a team
- Strong leadership skills and a true passion for helping others rise to the top of their field
- Adept at problem-solving, particularly under pressure
- Extensive knowledge of medical terminology, standard hospital procedures, and evolving laws and regulations
- Experience working with hospital database systems
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Fluency in Spanish
- Ability to work nights and weekends, often working seven days on, seven days off
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.