WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
HR Consultant Job Description
Below is our HR consultant job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
HR Consultant Job Description
Our firm is looking for an experienced, creative, and dynamic individual to come on board as a human resources consultant. Your role will be to work directly with our business clients to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of their human resources departments. The ideal candidate will have previous HR experience, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to find creative solutions to a host of HR issues.
- Work with company management on the formation of plans and policies concerning HR operations
- Consult with existing HR staff to implement plans and optimize operations
- Assist in development and training of HR staff
- Create actionable solutions for existing problems
- Research organizational structuring and tailor solutions to each diverse client’s needs
- Collect and interpret data sets for departments and existing policies
- Recommend and assist in integrating new or updated HR technology
- Create communication pathways across all parts of the organization
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business management, communications, or a related field.
- Previous human resources or management experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR roles, duties, and best practices
- Ability to effectively communicate across multiple platforms
- High level of professionalism and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make complex multi-tiered decisions
- Excellent analytical skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours/parameters
- Ability to travel several days per month
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous experience as an HR manager or consultant
- Ability to attend HR training and business symposiums and report back to management and HR departments on best practices observed
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE