WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Insurance Underwriter Job Description
Below is our insurance underwriter job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Insurance Underwriter Job Description
We are looking to fill an immediate opening in our Underwriting department. As an Insurance Underwriter with our organization, you will be expected to examine potential clients to determine risk factors and establish the terms of their coverage contract. Successful candidates should possess at least one year experience, with a proven record of contributing towards reduced average claims cost. If you are a thorough, detail-oriented individual who possesses this experience, we would love to meet with you today.
- Review insurance applications and client background to establish the risk level
- Ensure application information is correct and compliance standards are met
- Collaborate with specialists to gather additional information
- Define loss exposures and insurance premium based on all risk factors; define terms of the insurance policy
- Authorize reinsurance of high-risk policies
- Decline risks deemed excessive
- Record all details of the underwriting process and application decisions
- Work with Underwriting team to ensure a profitable book of business for the insurer
- Adhere to applicable insurance laws
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- 1+ year insurance underwriting experience
- Fluent working with analytical tools, “smart systems” and statistical packages
- Extensive knowledge of insurance policies, risk exposures, and policy provisions
- Proven statistical and numeracy skills
- Strong communication skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented; confident in taking a leadership role
- Sound judgment
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- BS in Business Administration, Finance or related field preferred
- Must have reliable transportation
- Professional, reliable, and punctual
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE