WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Interior Designer Job Description
Below is our interior designer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Interior Designer Job Description
XYZ Designs is looking for an experienced and artistic individual to join our team. As an interior designer at our growing firm, you will work collaboratively with architects, engineers, and design assistants to ensure that each client’s spatial design needs are met. You will work on a variety of design projects, seeing them through from conceptual development to execution. If you have a keen eye for design and experience delivering practical, aesthetically pleasing spaces, we would love to meet with you.
- Seeking out and bidding on new design projects
- Collaborating with clients to identify design project goals; determining how space will be used
- Collaborating with architects, structural and mechanical engineers, and builders to ensure the look and function is achievable
- Overseeing projects with inspection regulations and building codes in mind
- Creating a timeline and budget estimate
- Sketching initial design plans
- Identifying needed materials (furniture, lighting, flooring, plumbing fixtures, etc.)
- Using CAD software to prepare final layout plans
- Placing material orders and overseeing the installation
- Working closely with clients to ensure complete satisfaction
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Design or related field
- Proven work experience in overseeing interior design projects, including new construction, space planning renovations, and consultations
- Portfolio of previous work, preferably with a variety of different project types
- A keen eye for selecting the proper colors, lighting, materials, and furniture
- Proficiency in design programs (Illustrator, AutoCAD, 3D Max, SketchUp, etc.)
- Detail-oriented with strong project management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; strong presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at any given time; strong time management skills
- Professional attitude and appearance
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) licensure; will assist the right candidate in achieving additional education and licensure
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.