WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Internal Recruiter Job Description
Below is our internal recruiter job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Internal Recruiter Job Description
We are currently searching for a highly motivated and organized individual for the position of Internal Recruiter. Prior experience as a recruiter or within an HR department is preferred. Ideally, you should be a people-person with a knack for recognizing positive and negative traits of potential employees. Strong communications skills, paired with the ability to conduct effective face to face interviews and conversations will prove invaluable for this position. You should also be skilled in current hardware and software platforms commonly used in corporate settings.
- Create job postings, work with outside headhunters and staffing agencies, and search online job sites to locate potential recruits
- Work with management to determine staffing needs
- Review resumes and job applications
- Interview potential staff members, perform background checks, and follow up with references
- Introduce new hires to the company and perform/coordinate orientation and training
- Maintain ethical hiring and employment standards
- Serve as an employee advocate
- Create and maintain employee data regarding turnover and retention
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, human resources, business management, or a related field
- Minimum of three years of human resources or recruiting experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable conducting one-on-one interviews and speaking to large groups
- Strong computer skills
- Experience conducting data analysis
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in business management or human resources
- Ability to travel for work seminars or training
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE