WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
IT Consultant Job Description
Below is our IT consultant job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
IT Consultant Job Description
Our IT consultant will develop the business solutions our clients need to improve their infrastructure and increase efficiency. We need our consultant to have a wide range of skills. All clients will have different system configurations, so our consultants must be flexible when evaluating their technology and recommending solutions. They’ll also need to schedule regular analysis, provide written and oral instructions for clients, and test technology for potential security gaps. Ideal candidates should be equally comfortable speaking to peers and executives with little to no technical expertise.
- Meet with clients and discuss their frustrations and priorities
- Examine and analyze clients’ existing IT infrastructure
- Devise solutions to increase efficiency
- Ensure systems can defend against security threats
- Provide assistance in the event of an emergency
- Communicate system details to all relevant parties
- Manage installation staff and assist with implementation and adoption
- Monitor IT systems and adjust, as needed
- Research new technology and recommend new features and upgrades to clients
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least one year of experience as an IT consultant
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Thorough understanding of legacy systems and current IT infrastructure
- Proficiency in all relevant database languages
- Solid leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s in business or a computer science-related field
- Experience working with large businesses (e.g., 500+ employees)
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE