WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Leasing Consultant Job Description
Below is our leasing consultant job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Leasing Consultant Job Description
Our luxury downtown apartment complex is looking for an experienced Leasing Consultant. The ideal candidate is honest and ambitious, with a background in real estate sales and/or leasing. This is a salary-based position, with potential for commission and a quarterly bonus based on performance. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Show units to prospective tenants and encourage leasing by showcasing our gorgeous apartments and stellar customer service
- Process applications and validate applicant information
- Prepare and process move-in paperwork
- Work closely with management to determine quarterly sales goals
- Strive to achieve a strong closing ratio
- Work with the facilities management team to ensure apartment grounds are kept in pristine condition
- Process tenant service requests and follow up to ensure quick response times
- Answer incoming emails and telephone calls
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three years of experience in property management, leasing, real estate, or sales
- Proven work experience in closing sales
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Keen understanding of property management best practices and regulations
- Proficiency in Microsoft OfficeSuite applications
- Strong customer service skills
- Professional appearance and demeanor
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, sales, or advertising
- Fair Housing Certification (will assist the right candidate in acquiring certification)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE