WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Legal Analyst Job Description
Below is our legal analyst job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Legal Analyst Job Description
XYZ & Associates has proudly represented Florida’s residents for more than 20 years. Our Collections and Recovery department seeks a results-oriented, dynamic legal analyst for a full-time position. Successful candidates need a college degree and strong technical skills. If you possess the necessary skills and are committed to working in a team environment with opportunities for future growth, we encourage you to apply.
- Create production documents and reports
- Create links in legal templates
- Review current automated procedures, make recommendations for enhancement based on your findings, and implement any necessary changes
- Use the firm’s software tools to increase overall production
- Maintain tracking systems and databases
- Maintain an extensive understanding of the law, including government regulations and legal procedures
- Review and inspect evidence and testimony, and then prepare the necessary paperwork for upcoming proceedings
- Track, collate, review, and file documents
- Research the law (e.g., accessing legal records and documentation as well as public records), and then provide recommendations based on your findings
- Research news stories relevant to current cases
- Provide overall support to the legal team
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of an associate’s degree, but a bachelor’s degree in computer science preferred
- Strong knowledge of MySQL or SQL; FastReports experience is a plus
- Experience with Power BI, Jaspersoft, or Crystal Reports
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to type a minimum of 35 wpm
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to self-lead, working as a team and independently
- Excellent problem-solving and reasoning skills, particularly under pressure
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert critical-thinking and research skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Coding experience preferred
- Flexibility to work extended hours for large cases, as needed
- Some travel, as needed
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE