WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Life Coach Job Description
Below is our life coach job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Life Coach Job Description
Are you an enthusiastic, upbeat person who enjoys talking to individuals at audiences of any size? If so, you may be the ideal candidate for our life coach position. Our life coach professionals strive to instill a sense of purpose and intent in clients’ lives. The ideal candidate should be well versed in various schools of self-help, motivational language, and client/coach interactions. We want not only to make change possible for our clients but to invest in them and steer their personal growth to successful outcomes.
- Organizing, hosting, and overseeing life coach seminars, speaking engagements, and one-on-one meetings
- Providing clients with methods to improve personal and professional success
- Providing motivational and inspirational mindsets for individual clients
- Creating pamphlets, manuals for success, and related strategic literature to bolster personal growth
- Consulting with clients to organize and streamline life processes
- Managing a social media presence as a lifeline for existing and potential clients
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Comfortable talking to people at audiences of any size
- Can tactfully communicate sensitive information; clients will rely on your discretion and professionalism
- Ability to maintain a regular schedule for meeting and engaging with new and existing clients
- Regular collaboration with peers and inspirational luminaries
- Proven experience in the life coach role/field
- Able to perform across multiple operating systems (Windows, Mac) and multimedia technologies
- BA/MA in Sociology, Communications, or related subject areas
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Organized and successful in professional and personal life
- Adeptly manages social media communication, advertising, and promotions
- Able to travel regularly
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE