WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Loan Officer Job Description
Below is our loan officer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Loan Officer Job Description
Our loan officers help clients realize their dreams by matching them with loan products that provide the funds they need. After discussing a client’s situation, desires, and financial position with them, officers recommend one or more loan products that make the most sense for that client. Officers also help clients understand the loan application process and all of their available options. In order to meet our diverse clients’ needs, loan officers should be familiar with primary mortgages, secondary mortgages, home equity lines of credit, and other loan products.
- Meeting with clients to discuss their needs and desires
- Recommending loan products based on clients’ unique situations and financial positions
- Evaluating loan applications to determine clients’ creditworthiness
- Checking loan application documentation for completeness.
- Declining unsuitable loan applications and explaining the deficiencies to clients
- Approving suitable loan applications and completing loan contracts
- Answering clients’ questions and providing additional information as necessary
- Preparing reports for bank branch managers
- Keeping client financial information confidential at all times
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, or a related field
- Currently registered with the National Mortgage Licensing System and Registry
- 4+ years of experience in the consumer loan industry
- Strong customer service and communication abilities
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Good understanding of indirect and direct lending practices and products
- Good understanding of common banking software programs
- Full-time availability
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in the consumer loan industry
- Additional customer service and/or sales experience
- Proven ability to meet sales targets
- Saturday morning availability
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.