WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Maintenance Foreman Job Description
Below is our maintenance foreman job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Maintenance Foreman Job Description
Our organization is searching for a highly qualified individual for the position of Maintenance Foreman. An individual with a strong understanding of mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing operations will be our best fit. We are a fast-paced company and are, accordingly, searching for an adaptive and professional Maintenance Foreman to regularly monitor and ensure our building(s) are in proper working order. Interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic are also necessary for success. Prior experience in operational maintenance is also recommended.
- Monitor, maintain, and recommend future actions to ensure building systems are operating at optimal capacity
- Direct maintenance teams in daily, weekly, and monthly system maintenance procedures
- Communicate data analysis and system maintenance reports to administration
- Oversee repairs, renovations, and upgrades to existing building systems
- Communicate with vendors to coordinate orders and deliveries for parts and service
- Adhere to organizational standards for continued maintenance and operational excellence
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Extensive training and experience operating and maintaining commercial electrical, HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, and communications systems
- Previous experience in managerial position
- Extensive knowledge of mechanical systems, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and/or operational systems
- Able to incorporate technology (hardware/software) in managing and maintaining building systems
- Able to communicate with associates and administration across multiple platforms
- High School diploma
- AA from accredited college or university
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- BS in Engineering, Systems Operations, or related fields
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE