WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Makeup Artist Job Description
Below is our makeup artist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Makeup Artist Job Description
Our production studio is looking for a creative Makeup Artist to ensure our staff looks their very best each time they appear in front of an audience. We have a talented team of actors and presenters who require both basic and complex makeup applications, depending upon the project. As our Makeup Artist, you will be given design parameters and expected to utilize your skills to ensure consistently exceptional visual results. Talented artists who are looking to take their career to the next level, please send us your media makeup portfolio - we would love to see your work!
- Collaborate with clients and project managers to develop and execute appropriate looks
- Assess each client’s skin type and condition to determine the ideal products to use for each project
- Prepare skin and apply makeup
- Design and construct prosthetic attachments as needed
- Apply touch-ups as needed
- Assist clients with makeup removal when necessary
- Maintain and update an inventory of cosmetics and tools needed for the job
- Maintain health and safety standards at all times
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Cosmetology Certification and appropriate state licensing
- Extensive portfolio with a varied body of work
- Proven industry knowledge and experience
- Technical understanding of lighting, film, and photography
- Knowledge of health and safety standards
- Ability to work effectively within a budget
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines
- Willingness to remain abreast of industry trends and techniques
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience in prosthetics and special effects
- Flexible schedule with the ability to travel on occasion
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE