WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Manufacturing Engineer Job Description
Below is our manufacturing engineer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Manufacturing Engineer Job Description
Our company’s manufacturing engineers play an instrumental role in the creation of new toys for children ages 0 to 12 years. These engineers serve as liaisons between our creative teams and the engineering department at large, helping with everything from conception and design to final product development. Because manufacturing engineers are the point of contact for multiple departments, they must possess strong leadership and communication skills. For the qualified candidate who is able to keep projects on target while maintaining a focus on the end user, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Assist the creative and engineering teams with product design
- Draw up quality standards for new products
- Develop manufacturing processes for new products
- Evaluate manufacturing processes for existing products
- Analyze overall factory layout, workflow and space utilization
- Test manufactured products to ensure they meet quality standards
- Provide manufacturing details to creative, engineering and management teams
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs for manufacturing equipment
- Maintain accurate product and process databases
- Coordinate between creative, engineering and other teams involved in projects
- Keep upper management abreast of project progress and issues
- Compile regular reports for all teams involved
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Meet deadlines and remain within budget requirements for projects
- Comply with all applicable government regulations and industry standards
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3+ years experience in product manufacturing
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with CAD and CAM/CAD Circuit Design
- Familiarity with MS Office
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 6+ years experience in product manufacturing
- Experience with both quality control and product design
- Experience playing with children ages 0 to 12 years
- Knowledge of developmental stages in children
- Knowledge of play-based educational theories
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.