WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Marketing Strategist Job Description
Below is our marketing strategist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Marketing Strategist Job Description
Based on our organization’s growth and development during the past decade, we seek to hire an experienced marketing strategist to lead our marketing department. As the marketing strategist, you will work with company executives to develop a well-rounded and profitable marketing strategy. Ideal candidates possess the ability to juggle a variety of tasks at any given time. If you are goal-oriented and innovative, we want to meet with you to discuss this position further.
- Coordinate with executives to define short- and long-term goals
- Set specific marketing goals based on organizational goals
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that align with business targets
- Develop and manage digital campaigns for increased web traffic
- Research the market to remain at the forefront of industry trends, identify new opportunities, and forecast market trends
- Generate reports and analyze metrics
- Collaborate with contributors to generate innovative ideas that align with our brand and promote our goods and services while ensuring brand consistency across all marketing channels
- Review customer feedback and use the information to ensure continued client satisfaction
- Use a range of marketing strategies to develop a strong web presence
- Address advertising and marketing issues and needs
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or relevant field
- At least two years of proven work experience as a marketing manager or marketing strategist
- Demonstrable experience with marketing campaigns, web technologies, and email marketing
- Extensive knowledge of content management systems and CRM software
- Comprehensive knowledge of best practices, including an understanding of digital behavior and emerging industry innovations as well as experience building an audience and integrating content across multiple platforms
- Demonstrable experience with marketing metrics and A/B testing methodology
- Familiarity with SEO/SEM and Google Analytics
- Understanding of web design
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Experience leading a team
- Unique problem-solving and analytical abilities
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- This position requires quarterly travel
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.