WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Mechanical Technician Job Description
Below is our mechanical technician job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Mechanical Technician Job Description
Our organization is currently searching for a qualified mechanical technician. Our candidate of choice will be adept at problem-solving and leading teams of workers. He or she will be prolific in the construction, maintenance, and repair of electronic, mechanical, and electrical systems and machines. As a mechanical technician in our company, you’ll be expected to be on-call and ready to troubleshoot problems as they arise on-site or remotely. A friendly and professional demeanor is also an important consideration during our hiring process.
- Charged with installations, expansions, and upgrades to existing systems
- Continued maintenance and oversight of clients’ operational systems
- Managing teams of mechanical employees
- Deciphering cost analysis and operational expenses
- Maintaining communication channels for employees and clients alike
- Creating work orders and requests for vendor parts
- Interacting and communicating with clients to maintain the current status of operating systems
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to read blueprints and schematic designs
- Excellent communication and team-building skills
- Experience and knowledge using various computer operating system platforms, as well as web tools and social media
- Adept in working with mechanical and electrical/electronic systems
- Extensive experience in the maintenance and installation of integrated systems
- Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related fields
- Ability to adapt and problem solve in real time
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Prior experience managing teams of employees
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to perpetually maintain on-call status
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE