WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Microbrewery Manager Job Description
Below is our microbrewery manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Microbrewery Manager Job Description
Our growing microbrewery is looking for a full-time microbrewery manager. The ideal candidate for this dynamic position is passionate about microbrewing and dedicated to delivering exceptional customer service. This person will act as supervisor for all areas of the brewery, working closely with our marketing department and event staff. Since educating guests is a critical part of the customer experience, candidates should possess knowledge regarding our craft beer, the brewing process, and our company mission. This is a full-time position and will require night and weekend work.
- Supervising every aspect of the microbrewery
- Collaborating with the marketing team
- Work closely with event and production staff to ensure successful events
- Maintaining facility equipment, including implementing a preventative maintenance plan
- Supervising, scheduling, and training staff
- Keeping brewery clean, complying with state regulations
- Educating guests on the microbrewery’s process and mission
- Managing inventory and maintaining beer quality
- Coordinating beer movement throughout the facility
- Enforcing occupational health and safety standards
- Fostering relationships with suppliers
- Coordinating with accounting to complete monthly inventory and budget
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Passion for craft beer and a keen understanding of the brewing process
- Extensive management experience
- Knowledge of OSHA and safety standards
- Knowledge of government regulatory programs and HACCP
- Ability to innovate and drive brewery growth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills
- Knowledge of various beers and brewing practices
- Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills
- Ability to make quick decisions under pressure
- Strong multitasking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work on feet for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs
- Available to work for 40 or more hours per week
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Previous brewing experience
- Reliable transportation
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE