WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Mobile Developer Job Description
Below is our mobile developer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Mobile Developer Job Description
With so many people using mobile devices, there is a great need for new and innovative mobile applications. Accordingly, our team is looking to add a mobile developer to our company. We are searching for an innovative and technically proficient individual to integrate into our company and help drive new apps and technology. Prior experience ranks highly, as does mobile platform acumen. Show us your expertise today and become a part of a winning organization.
- Researching, developing, and implementing mobile applications for devices
- Monitoring effectiveness of apps and regularly adding input to fixes and upgrades
- Collaborating with other mobile developers to create effective and exciting apps based on customer research and data
- Studying customer feedback to make apps more user-friendly
- Regularly using apps from design teams other than your own to develop new strategies
- Adhering to industry standards while simultaneously stretching boundaries of design and functionality
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to write effective and elegant code
- Strong understanding of customers and their needs
- Ability to work alone or in team settings
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to make changes in real time
- Technical proficiency and awareness of technological advancements and improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Proven track record of success in creating mobile applications
- Ability to travel and work nights/weekends
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE