WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Music Producer Job Description
Below is our music producer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Music Producer Job Description
Our studio seeks a talented, hardworking music producer to join our team. In this role, you will participate in every part of the process—from finding and recruiting new talent to monitoring record sales. Successful candidates maintain an air of professionalism and possess an unmatched passion for the industry. They also should be able to present a portfolio of successful projects and have respect for old techniques with a pulse on emerging trends.
- Identify and recruit new talent
- Gather inspiration and ideas for upcoming projects, collaborating with involved talent
- Guide artists through the recording process
- Manage the overall sound of the album/project with a willingness to accept outside opinions and advice; rearrange compositions, as appropriate
- Reserve studio time, and hire vocalists, sound engineers, and songwriters when necessary
- Liaise with recording engineers for mixing and mastering
- Ensure the overall sound of an album aligns with an artist’s vision and goals
- Run recording sessions
- Manage project budgets, and maintain accurate records of costs and expenses
- Arrange and negotiate business contracts
- Foster a collaborative environment throughout projects
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in music, science of music, music production, studio engineering, or related field
- At least two years of experience using digital audio software and hardware
- Familiarity with industry best practices, law, and ethics
- Familiarity with sound-editing techniques
- Hands-on experience with audio production and recording
- Entrepreneurial in nature with a positive, professional demeanor
- Strong negotiation skills and attention to detail
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to travel
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE