WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Nursery Foreman Job Description
Below is our nursery foreman job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Nursery Foreman Job Description
Our nursery foreman is expected to make the most of the growing conditions for each plant on the premises. This includes determining the type of soil, amount of water, and the slope of the sunlight. Our foreman will need to decide when to rotate the crops and how they should be arranged to maximize their beauty and yield. The nursery foreman will also set the schedule and duties of the laborers. The ideal candidate will have experience with budget projections and proven success in exceeding productivity goals. They’ll need to maintain equipment, monitor weather conditions, and research new trends in nursery operations.
- Hiring, managing, training, and terminating employees
- Determining growing schedules and optimum growing conditions
- Monitoring inventory and reordering supplies when needed
- Working with owners to determine productivity and revenue goals
- Organizing and scheduling payroll
- Examining plants for potential signs of disease
- Ensuring safe conditions for all workers
- Scheduling repairs or replacement of equipment
- Planning harvest schedules to maximize efficiency
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- At least 1 year of experience in a supervisory role
- Superior knowledge of irrigating, growing, and harvesting a variety of crops
- Excellent people skills
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and attentive to details
- Ability to motivate and inspire a team to hit goals
- Experience with payroll and basic knowledge of employer regulations
- Bachelor’s degree in an agriculture-related field or equivalent experience
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in an agriculture-related field
- Experience repairing nursery equipment
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE