WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Office Administrator Job Description
Below is our office administrator job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Office Administrator Job Description
Our office is looking for a reliable and experienced individual to fill an immediate Office Administrator position. From greeting and directing visitors to fielding emails and calls our Office Administrator plays an integral role in ensuring our office runs smoothly and every customer receives the service they deserve. Qualified candidates have strong communication and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task with ease and confidence. Our staff will look to you for administrative support so they can work more efficiently and drive sustainable growth. Believe you’re up to the challenge? If so, we would love to meet with you to further discuss this position.
- Greet and direct visitors
- Conduct clerical duties (e.g. filing and preparing documents)
- Coordinate and manage organizational operations and activities
- Supervise administrative staff and delegate responsibilities
- Manage all correspondence including phone calls, emails, letters, and packages
- Manage calendar and travel arrangements/appointments for upper management
- Adhere to bookkeeping and budgeting procedures
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records
- Manage office supply inventory and place orders when necessary
- Prepare presentations and proposals as assigned
- Support colleagues and operations team
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of two years of experience as an office assistant, office administrator, or a similar role
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Outstanding leadership, time-management, and organizational abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft OfficeSuite applications and CMS software
- Ability to apply basic accounting principles and office management procedures
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in office administration
- Qualifications in secretarial studies
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE