WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Private Detective Job Description
Below is our private detective job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Private Detective Job Description
Our private detectives are in charge of uncovering the truth and delivering the facts to our clients. Private detectives may be asked to locate missing people, uncover fraudulent or illegal activity, or track down a cybercriminal. (As cybercrime become more prevalent, we need our private detectives to develop tracking systems that can catch people behind the virtual curtain.) Private detectives must be highly adaptable people, able to adjust their schedule or work additional hours to solve a case. They should be fanatical about gathering all of the relevant details in order to come to the most logical conclusion, but they should also be personable enough to empathize with clients and provide guidance when necessary
- Consulting with clients to understand primary objectives
- Investigating businesses or private individuals
- Reviewing security camera footage of various activities
- Using public databases to find information that can help track down individuals
- Documenting and recording behavior to provide evidence
- Keeping detailed notes and compiling reports for clients
- Building relationships with local attorneys to secure new business
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Excellent observational and listening skills
- Ability to empathize with clients who may be going through a difficult time
- Self-starter (ability to research and act independently without supervision)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Current state licensure
- General understanding of PI regulations
- High school degree or equivalent
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- At least 1 year of experience as a paralegal
- Bachelor’s degree in a research-related discipline
- Concealed carry license
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE