A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our product manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Product Manager Job Description
Our product managers help grow the company by bringing new, innovative, and in-demand products to market. Product managers are responsible for identifying potential ideas, conducting the necessary market research, generating the final product requirements and specifications, and drafting a production time frame and price point. Product managers also pursue new distribution channels through which existing and new products can be sold, and they help develop marketing strategies that engage target audiences. Because our product managers do so much, they can expect to work with research and development, marketing, senior management, and other teams within the company.
- Identifying potential opportunities based on market needs and research
- Recommending new products, changes to existing products, and alternative packaging
- Bringing approved new products to market, establishing expected ROIs, price points and production schedules
- Assessing how the company’s current products compare to competitors’ offerings
- Monitoring product life cycles to help maintain consistent year-after-year sales
- Increasing product market share by helping sales managers develop sales strategies
- Preparing product launch events that coincide with customer buying patterns
- Spot-checking in-field sales calls
- Monitoring and adjusting inventory levels to ensure product availability
- Overseeing the product development team, delegating responsibilities and following up
- Using discretion when discussing sensitive product development and roll-out plans
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Computer Science, or Engineering
- 2+ years of experience supervising product development
- Proven experience bringing products from concept to market
- Familiarity with the industry and market
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Strong problem-solving and communication skills
- Willingness to travel one week per month
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- MBA or master’s degree in relevant field
- 5+ years of experience supervising product development
- Experience in sales or securing distribution channels
- Familiarity with social media campaigns and e-commerce
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.